Awesome Conferences

Tutorial: How To Not Get Paged

Step 1: turn off your pager. Step 2: disable the monitoring system. Or.... you can run oncall using modern methodologies that constantly improve the reliability of your system.

I'm teaching a tutorial at Usenix LISA called "How To Not Get Paged: Managing Oncall to Reduce Outages".

I'm excited about this class because I'm going to explain a lot of the things I learned at Google about how to turn oncall from a PITA to a productive use of time that improves the reliability of the systems you run. Most of the material is from our new book, The Practice of Cloud System Administration, but the Q&A always leads me to say things I couldn't put in print.

Seating is limited. Register now!

How To Not Get Paged: Managing Oncall to Reduce Outages

Who should attend:

Anyone with an oncall responsibility (or their manager).

When/Where

Tuesday, 11-Nov, 1:30pm-5pm at Usenix LISA

Description:

People think of "oncall" as responding to a pager that beeps because of an outage. In this class you will learn how to use oncall as a vehicle to improve system reliability so that you get paged less often.

Take back to work:

• How to monitor more accurately so you get paged less
  • How to design an oncall schedule so that it is more fair and less stressful
  • How to assure preventative work and long-term solutions get done between oncall shifts
  • How to conduct "Fire Drills" and "Game Day Exercises" to create antifragile systems
  • How to write a good Post-mortem document that communicates better and prevents future problems

Topics include:

• Why your monitoring strategy is broken and how to fix it
  • Building a more fair oncall schedule
  • Monitoring to detect outages vs. monitoring to improve reliability
  • Alert review strategies
  • Conducting "Fire Drills" and "Game Day Exercises"
  • "Blameless Post-mortem documents"

Register today for Usenix LISA 2014!

Posted by Tom Limoncelli in Usenix

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: https://everythingsysadmin.com/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/1838

Leave a comment